Stories from the Road
February 15, 14
Sun Valley Idaho (on route)
The new terminal in the San Diego Airport is wonderful.
Creatively designed for comfort and aesthetic appeal, the terminal can compete
with any in the country. I am comfortably sitting at gate 49 waiting for my
Delta flight, which will take us to Salt Lake City. We will then fly to Haley,
Idaho, which is about ten miles from Sun Valley. At one point Bruce Wills and
Governor Arnold had homes in Haley, a cowboy town. Sun Valley has always had
its share of celebrities, including Ernest Hemingway and John Kerry.
Our travel companion, Dennis Humphrey of Boston, said, “
It’s all about them”, when referring to the airlines, and I can’t disagree with
him. Delta charged us for each bag and then changed our flight time from Salt
Lake to Idaho. We typically drive to Aspen to ski, and next year we’ll drive
there in addition to Montana later in the winter. We have eaten our sandwiches,
which I brought from home, and now Vicki and Dennis are searching the M
terminal for the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory store. At Snowmass we got in
the habit of eating a small piece of milk chocolate bark from this store each
night as our desert. I told them not to come back, if they didn’t find the
prized “bark”.
Though I haven’t had the chance to watch too much of the
Olympics, I have been following the results closely. It was great to see the US
beat Russia in hockey. When I was in high school, I remember the Russian
National Team played Harvard University in an exhibition game. They beat a very
good college team 11-1, and I remember our hockey coach, who saw the game, talk
about the Russian’s great skating ability and pin point passing. The team was
financed by the government and was a group of professionals outfitted in
amateur clothing. In later years many of the Russian players jumped to the
National Hockey League in the United States.
Nancy Auger’s stepfather recently was involved in a car
accident. He broke seven ribs and is a patient at Sharp Hospital. Tom is a very
nice guy, and I wish him the best. Timmie Pollock is doing well with her recovery
and is back at work.
Have a good day.
David
Stories from the Road
February 16, 14
Sun Valley, Idaho
There was a lot of snow on the mountain today and some of
our runs were difficult.
We tried to move to groomed runs, and though better, they
were crowded with bombers flying around. We were all tired and stopped in the
early afternoon.
Lat night we had burgers in a local pub, and there were a
group of young women sitting near us. We were tired from a long day of
traveling. Some of the women seemed to be “attracting” local men by laughing
loudly. We left before we became ugly tourists.
The people here are very friendly. From the bus driver to
the ski patrolman who gave us a lot of good information, everyone has been
helpful and pleasant. There is a different atmosphere here than at some of the
Colorado resorts, which have become international, destination resorts. Sun Valley seems to be more relaxed and low
key than those we have skied along the I-70 corridor.
I will be interested to see how Mikaela Schrffin does this
week. She is the favorite to win gold in her event, but the snow has been so
strange that it is anyone’s race. A native of Vail, Colorado and Northern New
Hampshire, at 18 years of age, Mikaela has brought rock star status to the
Olympics for the United States. With Lindsey Vonn out with injuries, Mikaela is
America’s most exciting skier.
Have a good evening.
David
Stories from the Road
February 18, 2014
Sun Valley, Idaho
There is a little snow in the parking lot this morning,
which means that there will be much more up on the mountain. We are looking to
have a good day on the hill.
Dennis continued to feel poorly last night and skipped
dinner. Vicki and I cruised some shops and then went to Enoteca, where we had a
delicious meal. My pork Osso Buco was excellent as were Vicki’s lamb chops. The
cost of the dinner was about half of what it might have cost in Aspen.
The last time I was in Sun Valley we spent time with high
school and college friends Chuck and Paige Mercer, who live part of the year
here and part in Topsfield, Massachusetts. Chuck sells advertising for a
guidebook he publishes, and with his infectious personality is somewhat of a
local celebrity. Unfortunately the Mercers are in Topsfield until March.
Steve Holcomb has driven his two-man bobsled, designed by
BMW, to a bronze medal. It is the first medal in two men bobsledding the US has
won in 52 years. This hero/anti-hero is a fun guy, and it was great to see him
win. He will drive the four-man sled next.
Dennis was ready to go today, and we skied some hard runs.
In the afternoon the light disappeared, so we stopped early. All in all it was
a fun day. There were a lot of young racers under ten years of age on the
slopes. It is fun to watch them ski. Balance and speed seem to come first with
technique following.
Have a good evening.
David
No comments:
Post a Comment