Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Outdoor Doc

Q:  What are some destination ski resorts you would recommend?

A:  I like Aspen. It is four hours from Denver and doesn’t get the day skier traffic that areas like Vail, Copper Mountain, and Breckinridge do. There are four ski mountains within a few miles of each other in Aspen. People think Aspen is only for the rich, but that is a false perception. There are many reasonable restaurants and places to stay.

                                                                  Bethel, Maine


In the East my friends love Sunday River, which is near the town of Bethel, Maine. They do a great job of snowmaking there, and the whole resort has kept a wilderness feel to it. I was there last summer, and we saw bear, moose, and deer.

Q:  I want to go hiking in Europe. Where should I go? Do I need a guide?

A:  If you want to hike in the high Alps over glaciers, you probably need a guide, unless you are an experienced mountaineer. Most of the well-known mountain towns like Cortina, Zermatt, and Chamonix have easy to follow routes for hikers. Hiking in Europe is popular, so there are many trails available. All the mountain towns have information centers that provide maps and descriptions about degree of difficulty.


Vicki on the Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt

No comments:

Post a Comment