Friday, December 25, 2015

Outdoor Doc


Q:  I am going back East next summer. Where is there good hiking?


A:  I am mostly familiar with Maine and New Hampshire. The White Mountains in New Hampshire have thousands of miles of trails. The Appalachian Mountain Club published an excellent book that gives detailed descriptions of many of the trails.  Some popular hikes can be found in the Presidential Range. With advanced planning you can reserve a bunk in several high mountain huts and climb across the range in several days.


Q:  I want to go biking in Europe. How does one go about doing this?



A:  Unless you love research and are very self-sufficient, you might do best signing on with one of the many bike companies that offer trips in Europe. I like Vermont Bike Tours. The flight is tied into the whole package, and the end price is very reasonable. You can expect local guides, excellent accommodations, good equipment, wonderful food, and rural bike routes. You can expect to ride with a group of 15 or 20 other people, who usually are middle aged professional people from the United States. Get the VBTcatalogue and check their trips out.

No comments:

Post a Comment