Stories from the Road
November 28, 2013
Bermuda
Hamilton Harbor
The rains swept across the Island around noon today. WE
played golf early and were lucky to have sun with manageable wind. Vicki shot a
51 on the front nine today. That is an excellent score.
On the fourth hole today I ran across a man selling golf
balls he had found. Being a long time ball hawker, I was interested in his
story. He told me he had 5000 balls he had collected from several golf courses
on the island. He lived behind the fourth green, and because errant balls
frequently hit his house or car, the Belmont Hills course allowed him to sell
his wares to golfers as they were passing through. Whereas new balls in the
clubhouse were selling three for $15.00, he was selling used balls in mint
condition 6 for $5.00. That was a hard deal to pass up! He said he had
customers from all over the island. Some people parked nearby and walked to his
spot to purchase golf balls. I told him he was a good salesman after buying a
dozen balls, before we moved onto the next tee box.
There is no natural water in Bermuda. Every house is
equipped with a tank in its basement. The roofs are specially constructed to
funnel rainwater down to the basement where it is filtered. Some homes can use
desalinated water. Our friends Barb and Chris until recently only used
rainwater stored in their 22,000-gallon tank. The island gets about 55 inches a
year.
I am reading my final Daniel Silva novel, “ The Messenger”,
which I am enjoying. The hero Gabriel Allon is on the trail of terrorists
again. If you haven’t read one, you should give one of Daniel Silva’s books a
try, as they are absorbing and fun to read.
Tomorrow is our last day here. We are hopping to play golf
again, but it all depends on the weather. My I Phone says clear skies, but
we’ll see. We’ll be up at 7 and hopefully on the course at 8.
Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:
Post a Comment