Typically I am rushing around before a vacation trying to
finish up work tasks. I often don’t have time to get a haircut. Such
inefficiency has resulted in an unexpected bonus. Over the years I have drifted
into the habit of getting haircuts in foreign countries and other American
states. Initially I wondered how it would all work out, but not only did I get
good haircuts, but my interactions with my haircutters became interesting,
cultural experiences.
In Rome Peter performed like a surgeon welding his scissors
with precision and flair. His assistant was wordless, as she handed him the
tools of his trade. In the Southern part of Italy my unnamed haircutter never
used scissors, only clippers. She couldn’t speak English, but we communicated
well through hand gestures. In New Zealand my Irish cutter told me about
herself and her plans while expertly practicing her craft.
I have a favorite barber in Colorado where I ski, and I
enjoyed the man who cut my hair in Hamilton, Mass. His accent brought me back to
my roots, and his charge was half that what I pay in San Diego. I don’t know,
if we talked about the Red Sox, but we could have.
Travel is a funny activity. The spectacular and known are
fun and stimulating, but I have often found that it is the “off moments” that
bring the most meaning on my trips. The tears our porter shed when we said
goodbye in Nepal, the girl scampering up the climbing wall in Cortina d’
Ampezzo, the waiter in Taormina expressing his sadness the day of 9/11, and the
rambunctious Canadians flying around the Matterhorn on their Rossignols. These
were experiences I have never forgotten. I remember Peter, the woman in Puglia,
whose name I never knew, and the Irish
woman in Queenstown. They have become part of the landscape of my own life.
It's interesting how they are often good listeners, have their individual style, and make their customers look and feel better by the end of the encounter. Working on the head that way seems like an appealing process - and quite familiar.
ReplyDeleteNice point Dan!!!
ReplyDelete