Thursday, December 24, 2015

Salishan


Torrey Pines



A couple of years ago Vicki and I flew to Portland, rented a car, and drove to the coast. I had booked a golf package at Salishan Resort in Gleneden Beach. The resort is built on a hill with lush vegetation. Though it was summer, the hotel and condos weren’t busy. The staff gave us an upgraded condo for reasons unknown. The resort is a little old and tired, but it had nice amenities in addition to two restaurants.

The high point of our stay was the golf. The course was lush due to all the rain; it was an interesting course with friendly staff. We played every day, and one day I played 36 homes. With few people on the course and a cart, I completed my second 18 holes quickly.

At night we tried some of the local restaurants. A couple were very good. One Italian restaurant served excellent food, though the place looked a little sketchy with a number of questionable patrons.

Like a ski vacation a golf holiday is fun and relaxing.  I particularly liked the friendly atmosphere of the resort, the beauty of the area, and the scenic golf course. On one of the last holes a homeowner put out a basket of golf balls that had strayed onto his property. The sign next to the basket of balls encouraged golfers to take one to replace their lost balls. What a great idea!


No comments:

Post a Comment