Monday, December 21, 2015

Creating a Narrative

Stories from the road
July 16, 2015
Brookline Village, Mass.


Boston, Mass.


Our Alaskan Airlines plane  is scheduled to fly from Logan International Airport at 6:00 this evening. It is again hot and humid in Boston, and I am looking forward to the warm , dry days and cool nights of coastal Southern California. We have enjoyed our trip, which has been varied and textured.

Over the years Beverly Kilman  has talked about the healing nature of a cohesive narrative . A life story that makes sense  without “mulligans “ is simple but powerful, though it is not so easy to write in one’s mind. Traveling  here and there, meeting new and old friends, with lots of down time has provided me with multiple opportunities to do private “narrative work”.  Hopefully I am getting closer to a copy that is accurate.

One fun thing about travel is that it begets thoughts of more travel. If I took all the trips that we have been discussing over the last weeks. I would have to live beyond a 100. Places we want to go are Iceland, Finland, and Portugal. I would love to rent a house  on a lake in Maine and  in the Finger Lakes area of New York. We have never been to Alaska, though I have had an interest in outdoor life for years.  It is fun to brainstorm about travel ideas.

My friend Steve Valle is recovering from knee replacement surgery at Dennis’s home. Yesterday was his best day, as he was walking around the condo without the aid of his crutch.  Steve is one of our Colorado ski partners, and he probably won’t make it to Snowmass this year.  We have skied with him for thirty years.

Have a good day.





No comments:

Post a Comment