The view from Hotel Miyako is stunning. I am on the 11 TH
floor, and LA is sprawling in front of me. Soon I will head out walking on an
exploratory trip to parts unknown.
Following the film, two Japanese musicians, a pianist and a
flutist, played a musical tribute to the memories of the victims. These were
serious, talented musicians, who moved the audience though their playing and
connection to their music.
The program ended with a live interview with a survivor of
the tsunami. She was witty, intelligent woman, who captivated the audience with
her wisdom and story telling.
As we walked back to our hotel in Little Tokyo, I remembered
that years ago Austin talked bout being a history professor. As he spoke on
stage about his film and his experience in Japan, I thought he was teaching
history in a most meaningful way.
No comments:
Post a Comment