Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Tales from the Hood/May 2013

A new neighbor has moved in the house next to ours. He is renovating the house and he wanted to make sure there wasn’t too much noise in the air. He brought peace gifts of flowers and cake. This was a very nice gesture, and Vicki and I appreciated it. I told him that the noise was not a big deal, which was true, and I thanked him for the gifts. Earlier in the week he had sent his contractor over to deliver the same message. I think he will be a terrific neighbor.

The situation was very different, when we moved into our current house around 1980. Within a day of moving, the neighbor in that house was complaining. The first complaint was that our barrels were outside our fence and were unsightly. I told him not someone had put a wire across our fence making it impossible to open gate. Suddenly he looked awkward, and he said the wire was his.

The complaints kept coming for as long as the couple lived there. They turned out to be terrible neighbors. Once we went over to have a glass of wine and try to talk things over. The man played his academic cards, but score one for Vicki and David. They had a young girl living with them, and one day she was no longer there. I asked where she was, the woman told me that she had a new life on a nice ranch. Go figure.

Finally they moved away. We have new neighbors on the other side, and they are very nice. The man is an orthopedic surgeon at Kaiser. He brought me over a tool to use, once he heard that I had recently had a hip replacement.


Our neighborhood has been an organic entity, which has shifted and flowed over the years. We have wonderful neighbors across the street, Carole and Roger Spragg. For many years we had the gift of
friendship from Roger Treadwell, who lived next door. He recently has moved to La Mesa. We still got together with him, his friend Diane Levy, and the Spraggs. We all have a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment