Thursday, March 17, 2016

Stories from the Road

Stories from the road
August 7, 2015
Roseburg, Oregon

We went over the class 3 drop into a small hole before turning sharply around a boulder and plunging into an eddy, where our inflatable kayak stopped. Vicki and I were in high spirits, and I knew I had to write about this experience in “Stories from the road.” The only problem was that it was a dream I had the night, before we started our road trip to Olympia, Washington.


We drove from Del Mar after rush hour hoping to miss some of the LA traffic. Things were good until Irvine, and then everything slowed down for a long time.  Eventually we passed Magic Mountain and went up the Grapevine, a huge mountain pass that drops you into the central valley. Unfortunately a car had caught on fire and sparked a blaze on a hilltop. Suddenly helicopters appeared dropping water on the fire, which was quickly escalating. Soon LA and Forest Service trucks arrived. Men formed a fire line. It was like watching a combat movie with the fire being the enemy. After 30-40 minutes we were allowed to pass.

 Later on we came to a 30-minute delay due to roadwork. The temperature was in the 90’s. Finally we were on our way again, but it was getting late, and our goal of driving to Sacramento wasn’t going to be met. We stayed at a Best Western motel that had passed its prime, though Pea Soup Anderson’s restaurant was next door, and that was a plus. Our turkey dinners were inexpensive and excellent.


Along highway 5 in the central valley local farmers had posted signs advocating their need for water. Their signs seemed to make sense, since much of the fruit and vegetables used in the US come from that part of California.

Elmer’s Family Restaurant is across the street from the Quality Inn, where we are staying. I have a good feeling about the place. There are no discounts at he Quality tonight because there is a big fair in town, and apparently the owner feels he can get “top dollar” for his rooms. Supply and demand I guess, but I won’t be back.

Have a good evening.



No comments:

Post a Comment