The view from Hotel Miyako is stunning. I am on the 11 TH floor, and LA is sprawling in front of me. Soon I will head out walking on an exploratory trip to parts unknown.
So what am I doing here anyway, when my golf courses, friends, and health club is 100 miles to the south? We arrived yesterday in preparation for the showing last night of a documentary made by Austin Auger Jr. about the after effects of the tsunami in Japan 5 years ago.
Austin had traveled to Japan; shot film ad interviewed 6 survivors. Their stories were sad but reflected the resiliency and courage of the Japanese people. Austin and his father, who helped with the project, wanted people everywhere to remember the tragedy of the tsunami, which took thousands of lives.
Following the film, two Japanese musicians, a pianist and a flutist, played a musical tribute to the memories of the victims. These were serious, talented musicians, who moved the audience though their playing and connection to their music.
The program ended with a live interview with a survivor of the tsunami. She was witty, intelligent woman, who captivated the audience with her wisdom and story telling.As we walked back to our hotel in Little Tokyo, I remembered that years ago Austin talked bout being a history professor. As he spoke on stage about his film and his experience in Japan, I thought he was teaching history in a most meaningful way.
No comments:
Post a Comment