Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Stories from Big Sky

Stories from the Road
March 8, 2017
Big Sky, Montana
Big Sky lift

I couldn’t hear the Gallatin River, as our van made its way through the hills to Big Sky, some 42 miles from the airport at Bozeman. I could see the outline of rushing water over rocks, though, a scene, which brought me a sense of familiarity and comfort.

Lift


The Lodge at Big Sky, our hotel, was the first stop, and as we tumbled out of the crowded van onto the snow, we saw our ski companions, Dennis, Janet, and Franke from Massachusetts. Franke and Janet live in Hudson, Mass., which is midway between Boston and Worcester. We traveled with Dennis on many trips, and we went France with Dennis and Janet a few years ago as part of a hiking tour group. This is the first time we have met Franke, who grew up in a number of European Countries, before coming to the United States, when he was 12.

Vicki ready to go
Today was a good day on the hill. The trails were well groomed, and there was plenty of packed powder. Janet, who hasn’t skied for 30 years, took a lesson, and the rest of us headed high. We skied non-stop all morning, and finished with a steep run down to the Summit Hotel, where we had lunch. I received a requested consultation from one of the ski attendants as to my need for a ski sharpening. He thought I was good to go, so went on into a lunch of burgers and fries.

After lunch we took one long cruiser run before hitting some shops and then walking back to the hotel. Reading and rest followed.

The people who work in ski resorts not surprisingly tend to be skiers, so they tend to be friendly and helpful to visitors. Our hotel is no exception. The desk clerk, Mason, couldn’t have been more helpful or friendly last evening, when we checked in. I thought I would hire him in a minute, if I had a business here.


No comments:

Post a Comment