Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Fairbanks in the Rain

A mist filled cloud hung over Del Mar this morning as I eased my Subaru out of the garage and headed for Fairbanks Ranch Country Club. My tee time was 7:10, but no one was around, so I drove off the first tee on the ocean Couse at 7:00 AM. It was good to be back on the course, and the mist and light rain gave the fairways an eerie feeling. It was like paying in Ireland or Scotland.

I kept looking to see other players, but I saw none. Later head of golf Dan Russell told me that I had been the only player on the course. Can you imagine having a whole course to yourself? It’s like skiing in Aspen and being the only downhiller on the Big Burn.

It was raining heavier by hole 9, and the combination of the weather and travel weariness guided me to the dining room for coffee and eventually to my car. It was an enjoyable morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment