January 20, 13
Snowmass, CO.
Last night at the Artisan we had a wonderful dinner. Our Louisiana born waiter served me a Tanqueray martini, and glass of Malbec to go with my rib eye steak. Vicki had roast chicken, and we spilt a Caesar’s salad. Our desert was a piece of chocolate we keep in the refrigerator in our hotel room.
On the way to dinner at the Snowmass Inn pool a group of college students about 50 strong were frolicking in the pool and Jacuzzi. Coeds in skimpy bikinis were dashing from the pool, rolling in the snow, and then leaping back into the warm pools. I told Vicki that I thought it was time for me to take a swim, but she didn’t back me up on that one.
We rode up the lift yesterday with 30+ guy from Washington, D.C. He was totally “out there” about expressing his ideas about skiing and travel. I silently disagreed about most things he said, but I found myself liking him, and I was sorry, when the lengthy lift ride ended, and we all skied off in separate directions.
Kevin O’Grady was a ski partner of Vicki and me years ago. He had a great attitude and would go down trails with tremendous energy and enthusiasm. Our ski club had a race every year in New Hampshire, but we had to put an end to it because people kept spraining and breaking legs. We were a competitive group. Kevin passed away a year ago after a long struggle with brain cancer. I wrote him this poem.
Time and Kevin
I heard you above the rushing waters of the Ammonusic,
I saw you through the mist of Lafayette,
I walked with you through the golden pastures of Twin,
I called you name on the rocky slopes of Madison.
You were there in Galway and Limerick too,
You followed the worn paths on the Aran Islands,
You swam in the blue of the Adriatic,
You ran through time in ancient Rome.
I saw deer in the meadow,
I longed to join the soaring hawk,
I ran toward the storm,
I embraced the falling snow.
No comments:
Post a Comment