Friday, December 23, 2016

Bermuda Stories

Stories from the road
November 30, 13
New York City

It is 25 degrees with clear skies at JFK international Airport. We have a layover of several hours before catching our connecting flight to San Diego. The flight from Bermuda was less than two hours and seemed effortless. You can clear customs in Bermuda, so there is no need to do that in New York. This is a bonus, since the customs process in New York always seems burdensome.

This morning as we were loading the shuttle to the airport, the all time ugly Americans showed up in the form of a couple. Both people were stressed that the loading process was too slow, though there was more than enough time for them to catch their flight to Miami. The woman then demanded to sit in the front seat, which was occupied by another woman.  When the ugly one said she had been “promised” that seat, the occupant said she had too and she wasn’t moving. I silently cheered.

We had been given misinformation, and we were due to be on a later van. The shuttle driver was trying to fit all the gear in the van, and the woman said, “You mean were waiting because of them?” At that point I was ready to enter the fray, but I realized that my fellow countrywoman was doing a superb job of alienating herself from the other passengers, and she didn’t need my help. Her husband also was lacking in grace. At that point the driver realized the error and asked us to wait for the next shuttle, which we were happy to do.

As they closed the door of the van I heard the driver telling the woman that she was totally out of line. I was happy not to be riding to the airport with this entitled twosome. As it turned out we had a large cab to ourselves and had a pleasant ride with a hospitable driver. When we arrived at the airport and has cleared customs, the ugly people’s plane was just boarding.

Bermuda is a good place to visit this time of year for golfers. The island in not crowed with tourists, and the course we played, which was part of our hotel package, was empty every day. It was relatively chilly in Bermuda this year, so swimming in the ocean was not feasible. Our hotel had a variety of shuttles to places, so we didn’t need a car. Our lodging package was very reasonable, though food and restaurant prices on the island are very high. We ended up going to a local market and having breakfast and lunch in our room. We had a nice balcony with a table, so that process worked out well.

I am off the road now. The flight to San Diego was fine. I woke up early Sunday morning due to the time change; informed readers can easily guess where I went.

Have a good day.



No comments:

Post a Comment