Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Torrey

It was hot and humid today, as Vicki and I turned into the parking lot of the Torrey Pines Golf Course. We soon met up with Gary and Linda Eaton, our golf partners of the day. We were there to play the North Course, the easier of the two courses at Torrey Pines.

The round started well for me. On the first hole I hit a good drive, followed by a long fairway wood shot. A seven iron to the green and two putts gave me a par. I had a 6 on the next hole and then a par. On the fourth hole we heard, “bobcat”, and sure enough there was a large bobcat walking across the fairway behind us.

It was the second bobcat I have seen in California, and it was a cool sighting. We continued playing, but my game went downhill. I had some good shots, but I made many poor ones. Gary played well. He hits a three rescue club a mile. The Eatons are fun to play with as they are supportive, considerate, funny, and gracious. It is hard to find couples who play golf, and we are fortunate to play with them. All of us were hot at the end. Vicki and I had decided to walk the course with pull carts, and this was a poor decision, as it was too hot.

We had nice people in the foursomes in front and in back of us. Golfers go out of their way to create working alliances with other golfers, so that there is a foundation of good will in the case of errant balls or slow play. No one wants too much conflict, when one is supposed to be having an enjoyable day.


I played well the last couple of holes. I think I was making a better weight shift which resulted in good distance.  I hope to return to Torrey pines soon. It is a magical place with great views, cool breezes, and well groomed fairways.

No comments:

Post a Comment