Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Stories from the Road


Stories from the road
February 8, 2016
Snowmass Village, CO.

The sun shined brightly once again over the Roaring Fork Valley. Vicki and I skied hard all morning before putting up our boards at noon. I took my post ski nap and continued reading a book about the 1996 tragedy on Mount Everest. I had actually met the author, who was on the expedition, when he was skiing at Snowmass a year after the climb. “After the Wind: the 1996 Everest Tragedy-One Survivor’s Story”, is an interesting book. 

Most good mountaineering books talk about personalities and group dynamics. In his book Lou Kasischke, the son of a Lutheran minister, spends most of the book reflecting on his inner thoughts, feelings, and conflicts.  He does conclude that the trip failed due to the leader’s flawed judgment, which was impaired due to overriding ambition. The author wrote the book twenty years after the tragedy, and clearly he is still struggling with his different feelings about the experience.

I also finished “I am Pilgrim”, a spy book recommended by my friend Dennis Humphrey. This is a fast paced, absorbing book that is fun to read. If you like Daniel Silva books, you will like this one.

Last night I slept from 6:30 to 5:00 AM. Skiing every day takes it energy toll, and rest is important. Today is our last day, and I am hoping to have a good one. We’ll ski with Nancy and Roger Leonard and after go with them to a Mardi Gras parade on the mall later in the day. For reasons unknown I want some of those beads!

On this trip we have faced a variety of weather conditions from sunny days and warm temperatures to raging blizzards with white out conditions. Most skiers these days adjust to weather conditions by adding or subtracting layers of clothing. New technology has made it possible to wear light garments that are very warm. Underneath my parka I wear a Patagonia Nano Puff sweater that is warm and easy to slide on and off. If it is very cold, I will switch to a fleece garment under the parka.
I wear Gore-Tex ski pants, warm gloves that are flexible, goggles, and a helmet. It all seems to work.

Have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment