Monday, February 1, 2016

stoies from the road


Stories from the Road
Snowmass, CO.
January 13, 2016

Some years ago Vicki and I were staying with our Del Mar neighbors, Carole and Roger Spragg, at their home in Whitefish, Montana. We were skiing at Big Mountain with their friends, Martin and Eleanor Hale. Both Hales had distinguished ski careers. Martin once coached the National Team, and Eleanor was an alternate at the Squaw Valley Olympics. 
We began a run, when I noticed that Eleanor, who is a petite woman, pulled away from me with ease. I asked Martin why that was so, and he pointed out that she skied on her edges, while I tended to stay flat on my skies. I must have been ready to hear that, as from that moment on my skiing changed. My turns were better, I had more control, and I skied faster.

Walking through local restaurants with the Hales was an experience. Martin knew everyone. It was like being in the company of a rock star. Martin’s health has deteriorated in recent years, and he no longer skies. When I make a turn on the snow, I often think of him with gratitude. His few words made an enormous difference,

The last couple of days I have been noticing the children on the slopes. Something was interesting me, but I wasn’t sure what. Finally I realized the children looked like little adults. Their ski clothes were similar to mine, but they were little children. They were like miniature adults with their North Face parkas and Patagonia ski pants.

Tonight Marle, Maria, Vicki, and I will take the gondola down to Base Village, where we will eat at an Asian restaurant. Our hotel offers a complimentary full breakfast and lunch of soup and rolls. The food is very good, and the deal is terrific, when one considers the cost of food on the mountain.

Have a good evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment