Stories from the road
February 13, 2016
Final Chapter
We both saw the bald eagle at the same time. I could see its
white head peeking out of his nest along highway 70 not far from Rifle,
Colorado. It is always an exciting time to see a bald eagle, though I guess in
Alaska they are as common as robins in New England.
As we drove toward San Diego I reviewed our last ski day. It
had been a good one. With good snow, sunshine, and few people out early, Nancy,
roger, Vicki, and I covered a lot of territory. After skiing we went to a Madi
Gras celebration and parade on the mall, before heading back to our hotel for a
private cocktail party in the longue with Nancy and Roger.
We have signed up to return next year, and hopefully we will
be able to do that. After breakfast the next day we said goodbye to friends and
staff and began the two-day drive. Day one was easy with clear roads and no
traffic. There is a 100-mile stretch of I-70 that goes across central Utah,
where there are no services. It is a beautiful area, but in the winter there
are few cars, and I am always glad to reach the other side.
The first night we stayed at St. George and had dinner and
breakfast at the Cracker Barrel
restaurant, which serves a wide variety of
inexpensive, hearty meals. My chicken potpie was delicious as was my bacon and
eggs the next morning.
Day two was more difficult due to an accident ahead of us
while we were trying to get through Las Vegas during rush hour. We were fine
then until Cajon Pass, when the traffic escalated. It was heavy all the way to
highway 56 in Poway. We were both tired, when we reached our home in Del Mar.
Have a good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment