The Irish came to Escondido last night in the form of the
Chieftains, the band formed in 1962. I had always liked their music, but I
wasn’t prepared for the high octane, entertaining show they gave at the
California Center for the Performing Arts. They sang, danced, and played
traditional Irish instruments. At one point some local girls came out and
performed Irish dances. At another an adult chorus from Escondido joined on
some songs. I kept waiting for my former secretary, who lives in Poway, to make
an appearance.
The women in front of me were having fun. They came ready to
jump into the show, and that they did. Clapping and laughing, they were having
all the fun there was to be had. I talked to them after the show, and one of
the women had seen the original group in Kansas City fifty years ago.
The band gave you your money’s worth. They played non-stop
for an hour and a half with most band members playing multiple instruments. As
we walked to the parking lot, people seemed happy, and I saw one teen-aged boy
trying an Irish Jig!

No comments:
Post a Comment