Stories from the Road
February 5. 2016
Snowmass Village, CO.
The day started off in ominous fashion. The table at
breakfast at which I usually sit was full. I moved to another table, and the
man I sat next to immediately began talking about corruption in Chicago. When
he moved onto his hamstring, I began talking with a very interesting man on my right, who had been
born in Germany. He had skied all over the world and had been coming to
Snowmass for forty years.
After breakfast we dressed and headed to the slopes in what
would be a great ski day. The sun was out, the temperature went up to twenty,
and the packed powder was excellent. We cruised lower slot and came upon a hole
a couple of feet deep with a long bone next to it. It looked like a bobcat had uncovered
an old treasure it had buried.
We continued our cruising, and moving back and forth over
the gentle terrain was akin to Clark Renner or Haig Koshkarian driving their
Porsches over Soledad Mountain Road. Later we ran into Roger and Nancy Leonard on
the Campground lift. The rest of the morning was spent dashing around the
mountain with big smiles. Tomorrow the four of us will ski again early to get
out in front of the Saturday crowds.
Last night Nancy and Roger hosted a Malbec party in the
lobby. Vicki and I brought some cheese and crackers, and others brought
different kinds of alcohol. He snack became our supper, and I turned in around
8:00 PM.
There was a follow up story in the Aspen Times concerning
the man who threw his chairlift companion 25 feet to the ground. Colorado law
prohibits giving out much information about mentally ill people. Apparently
this guy has issues, and it sounded like he had been admitted to a facility.
Have a good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment