Stories from the Road
Snowmass Village, CO.
February 1, 2016
The snow is relentless this morning on the Western Slope.
Within the last two days it has snowed 24 inches in Snowmass. It is 8:30 in the
morning, and we are hesitant to go out into the blizzard I am watching from my
window. Soon we’ll give it a try, but I think the skiing will be too difficult.
In spite of my concerns we had a great morning. We found
some intermediate runs that didn’t have a ton of snow and made some nice turns
in new powder. Later we took the gondola up and ran through some deeper powder
on Lodgepole Trail. We had one ugly incident, when a young guy flew through a
junction and missed me by a foot. I yelled at him, and I would have let it go,
but he cursed me. This was annoying, since the near collision was 100 % his
fault.
We rode up the life with a Serbian guy, who owns the
restaurant where we ate last night. There are a lot of Serbs in Snowmass, and
they seem to be a hearty, energetic group. Our chair mate was heading out to jump
off some cliffs in the double black diamond area.
We decided not to go out this afternoon, since the blizzard
has kicked up again. We had a good morning, and both of us felt, why spoil it? I
will look forward to tomorrow morning’s opportunities and challenges.
I just checked the latest snow report, and there are 11 new
inches on the mountain. There have been 35 inches in the last three days. It is
going to be another interesting morning!
Have a good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment