The air is dark and chilly. I figure that I’ll have the club
to myself at 5:30 in the morning, but I am wrong. SUVs, beamers, and Mercedes
are pouring into the parking lot. Boomers leap from their vehicles and move
quickly toward the front door. They are anxious to get on their machines and
begin hardening their bodies and getting rid of unwanted calories.
I make my way to the locker room and then head to the pool
to do laps. As I transition from cold air to warm water, I notice there is one
other person in the pool, a woman with flippers. She is an excellent swimmer
and quickly passes me by as I methodically swim my half mile. The scene is
eerie in an adventurous way, as it is still night, and the pool is lit
artificially. Gradually day arrives, and the lights go off.
Eventually I make my way to the outdoor Jacuzzi, where I am
alone with my thoughts in the 102 degree water. I am feeling good in the warm
water, and after 10 minutes I move indoors for a steam bath. The steam has a
cleansing function, and I breathe deeply, inviting the steam to become part of
me. The steam room is empty at that
hour, and the whole process has a 5 star feel to it. I smile as I think of the
gyms of my youth with their leaky shower heads, cracked concrete and banged up
lockers.


No comments:
Post a Comment