Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Bully on the Gondola

Stories from the Road
Snowmass, CO
January 19, 2016

Yesterday was sunny with packed power. We all were having fun and headed over to the gondola to go up to Elk Camp. As soon as he got on the lift, I noticed that something was different.  The man wore a Bogner ski jacket with a fur collar and matching Bogner ski pants. His goggles were expensive looking but were odd. Serious skiers don’t look like this.

From the moment he sat down he tried to bait us into a political discussion. He was condescending, arrogant, and hostile. I tried to change the subject a couple of times to golf talk, as apparently he belonged to “three golf clubs”. He would have none of it as he challenged Marle, who attempted to have a reasonable conversation with him.  He hated Hillary and called other democrats crooks.  At one point his friend, who seemed to be a more solid person, opened windows in the gondola. I assumed he was letting out some hot air.

After leaving the gondola and skiing to the lift line, apparently these guys were behind us. I didn’t hear them, but learned on the lift that the blowhard was making demeaning comments about our group. When we reached the top, I saw the Bogner guy and his friend ski to the same trail we were going to take. I smiled, when I saw that in spite of all his expensive ski clothing, Bogner was a marginal skier as was his friend. I let them go and then skied past them a couple of times. Like golf, in ski country what counts is ability on the       snow.

The Bogner guy was transparently narcissistic and nasty. A bully, who fed on power, he was doomed to emptiness. Like a snobby customer who leaves every restaurant because it is beneath him, he is forever hungry. I also thought he reflected the current atmosphere in the country, where one group is touting intolerance, scapegoating, and exclusion. In fifty years of riding ski lifts I have never encountered any situation like this.





No comments:

Post a Comment