Saturday, January 28, 2017

Snowmass Updates

Stories from the Road
January 27, 2017
Snowmass Village, CO.

The temperature was -5 today, when we headed to The Base Village lift at 8:30.  Though the sun was out ad we had clear, beautiful vistas, the air never warmed up much. We had first tracks on Lodgepole and Lodgedeck before running the topsy turvey Black Diamond Edge Run. Then it was over to Elk to make a dash through the trees on Bare Bottom. Lucas left us at ten to run some double black runs, before he had to leave for the airport at 1:00 PM.

Tonight we ate at Slice, the Serbian owned restaurant, at Base Village.  The Serbian guys are great fun. They have traveled a lot, and it is fun to talk with them. The prices are right there, and we go every few days.

Last night a large group of young people checked into our hotel. They were part of the X-Game crowd. A few years ago a group kept us awake much of the night with drunken, raucous behavior. I was mad at myself for not calling the manager, while all the partying was going on. I vowed this year would be different.

Several times during the night I woke up, checked my watch, and listened carefully. I didn’t hear a sound. This curmudgeon’s strategy didn’t play out, though I once again missed out on some sleep.

My I Phone says it is -1 in the Village now and will get up to 22 degrees around 2:00 PM. If it is -1 here, it will be colder a few thousand feet higher on the mountain. Time to layer up! The cold keeps the snow from melting and limits the number of people who ski here.



No comments:

Post a Comment