Friday, April 7, 2017

Stories from the Road
Monday, 2015
Steamboat Springs, CO.

Snow fell all day long on Steamboat Springs. However, the going was difficult on the hill. There was some good powder on top, but lower on the mountain the trails were icy with clumps of new snow. It wasn’t easy skiing.

We all stopped at lunchtime. As I was making my way down the main slope to the base area, I suddenly went airborne. I didn’t realize that I had entered a terrain park. I skied in and around the different jumps and then tried to make my way along the side of a half pipe. I stopped and fell over due the disorientation caused by near whiteout conditions. It took my ten minutes to get up and out of my skis, before I was able to head down for tortilla soup and half a Reuben.

We had a lengthy talk with one of the ski ambassadors, who was taking a survey. He had lived in Massachusetts for five years while studying to be an Episcopal priest. Later he went to Yale University and then had a parish for many years. Now he was leading a Russian Orthodox Church. He was a great skier, articulate, friendly, and handsome. I thought he would be successful at whatever he did.

Steamboat is a friendly place with real citizens, unlike Aspen, which often seems to be a cross between the Hamptons and Beverly Hills. Tonight we went to a brewery, which served tapas for a dollar during Happy Hour. A large man, who sat next to Dennis Humphrey on the plane, had recommended the restaurant. The man was drinking double Jack Daniels at 11:00 AM, and seemed to know all the good restaurants and watering holes in Steamboat.

Rob Brager seems to be feeling better. He has appreciated the support he has received from friends and colleagues.  Rob and I taught the same course at CSPP for many years. As often happens Rob had some “edgy” students who were testing the limits.  He bought a toy ray gun with good sound effects, and when the students started to get a little pushy, he zapped them. His humorous, creative approach put an end to the problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment