Saturday, April 22, 2017

Sacramento Wedding

Stories from the Road
September 21, 2013

Clouds blanket the sky as I look out from my fifteenth floor hotel window on this Saturday morning. Rain is predicted, and bride to be Sarah Flocks is worried that the outdoor ceremony this afternoon will have to move indoors.

Last night we ate at The Water Boy, a restaurant about a mile from our hotel. Vicki and I had a delicious chicken dish, while Fred had lamb and Laura had lamb pasta. The food and service was very good. We walked back to the hotel past many eateries that were busy and lively. The area around the capitol reminded Vicki and me of Portland. It had high energy and fun places.

This morning we walked in the downtown area of Sacramento. It is run down and unattractive, though I understand a new stadium is planned for that area. The boutique areas seem to be near the capitol. We stopped by a farmer’s market, which was attractive and alluring. I sampled some aged cheddar cheese, which was delicious.  There were many homeless people in the downtown area. The homeless in all cities seem to walk the same way. They shuffle slowly and look around. They are people with nothing to do, and need help.

It did rain, and the ceremony moved indoors from the courtyard where it was to be. The bride and groom read their own vows, which were funny and poignant. The minister for the day, Sarah’s boss, was witty and articulate. It was a good moment. The groom, Colin Grinnell was handsome, confident, and attractive. He charmed all the guests. His parents live in Napa, and they brought some excellent wines. Though I don’t know much about wine, I do know, when one tastes good. Enough said.

Today we’ll walk more, before going to Sarah’s house for a brunch and then a trip to the airport. Vicki and I walked a few early morning miles and then went to Sara’s house for brunch. I met an interesting woman who knew my friend, Kevin O’Grady. She lived in Newton and was an old friend of Jay and Stella Flocks. She is the director of a non-profit that represents special education programs.  I would like to look her up, when we travel to Boston.

We are now in the Sacramento airport, which is modern, tasteful, and consumer friendly. We enjoyed our stay here. Several times we walked by P.F. Chang’s near the airport. I learned today that Jerry Brown has an apartment over the restaurant. He frequents the establishments in the neighborhood and frequently is spotted walking his dog in the local streets.









No comments:

Post a Comment