Stories from the road
July 20, 2016
Seattle, WA
Now the city was shining with high-rise buildings, which overlooked the scenic harbor. Tourists crowded Pike’s Marker, and it seemed there was a trendy place to eat every few yards.
Before driving to Olympia we are spending a couple of days in Seattle. Our hotel is the Inn at the Market, which has a good location and terrific rooms. We are walking the city, and I won’t see my rental car again until we are ready to leave. Today we hope to hit some outdoor shops and a glass exhibit at the Space Needle.
There are a lot of homeless young people who appear to be “on the road”. Their handmade clothes, old musical instruments, and dogs provide them with a vagabond appearance. I wondered if some were disillusioned with road life
since they seemed spiritless and tired. One group was singing some punk rock songs for money. They weren’t very good, and I thought people were giving them money out of compassion rather than an appreciation of their sound.
Our bellman, John, was a nice guy. He grew up in Idaho and was a river and mountain person. I had fun talking with him about many of the same places we had been. Like Portland Seattle seems to be a city of young people and has an energy that is contagious.
Have a good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment