Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Stories from the Road

Stories from the road

September 4, 2017

Olympia, WA




It was hot and muggy in the Northwest today.  After breakfast at a local bakery, Marle and I headed for the public golf course in Tumwater for practice, while Vicki and her sister Maria went to walk in a nearby nature preserve. I moved from the pitching green to the sand trap to the range with mixed results.  Finally, we rolled some putts before driving to Cabela’s outdoor store in Lacey.

 Cabela’s features hunting and fishing gear and to go there is a cultural experience. The crowd is different than that in The North Face or Patagonia Stores, but no less interesting. In the parking lot, a breeder had brought two chocolate lab puppies to sell. They were fabulous dogs, and it was a huge temptation to take one home. The owner was very nice and seemed to be a responsible dog person.



Inside the store, people were examining fishing gear, boats, and of course, guns.  The pistol section seemed to be especially popular. All the pistols I had seen in police movies were there in addition to many I had never heard of. The customers were also diverse. I passed a large tattooed lady, who seemed to be a serious shopper. A young couple was intently looking at a Glock.  There seemed to be some tension in the air as if some North Koreans might come charging through the store at any minute.

For lunch, we went to the nearby Curry House, an Indian restaurant that was exceptional. For $9.50 we had luncheon specials, which were delicious and easily stretched to provide another meal. Later Vicki and Maria canoed around the lake, while I rested.


Tomorrow Vicki, Marle, and I will play golf at Salish Cliffs, one of my favourite courses. Attached to an Indian Casino, the course winds through the woods providing a wilderness setting to a challenging course.









No comments:

Post a Comment