Monday, September 18, 2017

Stories from the road

Stories from the Road
January 10, 2014
St. George, Utah

The sun shined brightly today as we steered our blue Subaru through the high desert past Barstow, Baker, and Las Vegas. Around 4:00 PM we reached our night’s destination, St. George, Utah. There is a fire, search, and rescue group convening here, so I believe we will have a safe night.

Our drive was the smoothest one we have ever made to Southern Utah. There was not even a bottleneck in Las Vegas, which has become dense with traffic in recent years. There is a new steak and rib restaurant next to the Hilton, and a little later, we will give it a try.

For years Vicki and I have passed Peggy Sue’s Diner in Yermo, which is some miles from Barstow. It is a ramshackle kind of place, we have always wondered about it. Today we stopped for lunch, and it was excellent. A down-home, basic diner, Peggy Sue’s is a favorite spot for truckers, a good sign to be sure. Vicki had pancakes, and I had sausage and eggs with hash browns. The coffee came in solid mugs, and the waitress, who was dressed in 1950’s garb, was in refill mode. Will I return to Peggy Sue’s is not even a question I will ask.

A few years ago I received a speeding ticket on the Moapa Indian Reservation. I had the choice of paying the ticket by mail or appearing before the Tribal Council. Today I set my car on cruise control and cautiously made my way through the reservation.

Have a good evening.

David




No comments:

Post a Comment