I had come there in the early nineties to climb the mountain with my wife Vicki and a Chamonix Mountain Guide. We had arrived by train from northern Italy, where we had been hiking for a week in the Dolomites with Mountain/Travel Sobek, the adventure travel company. We were fit and ready to try Blanc.
| mountain hut |
The first day we took a train partway up a flank of the mountain. We started hiking around noon through a boulder field that was steep and difficult. At one point we roped up and wore hard hats. The sun was hot, and I was getting very tired. Halfway up the route, we came to a steep shoot. The crossing technique involved clipping onto a rope which traversed the steep snow and then inching one’s way across. There was an excitement to it all.
In the late afternoon,
we reached our destination for the evening, a hut on the edge of the glacier leading to the summit of Mt. Blanc. The hut, which typically doesn’t turn anyone away, was packed. Though we had a reservation, which allowed us to have some space in a sleeping bin, we saw that many people did not. They stretched out on the floor or wherever they could find empty space.
| on trail |
| on the summit |
After many hours of climbing which wasn’t particularly difficult, we reached a knoll, where we put on out Gore-Tex suits. The wind was picking up, as we prepared to walk along a narrow ridge on the way to the summit. At seven in the morning, I walked over a slight crest to the top of Europe. In the distance, I could see Mount Paradiso in Italy and the Matterhorn in Zermatt. People from all over the world surrounded us, taking pictures and laughing in celebration... The air was very cold, so shortly we began our descent down the glacier on our way back to Chamonix.
Two days later we were settled in a beautiful hotel in Kandersteg, Switzerland. As I ate lunch by the pool, I looked up at the snow covered peaks behind our hotel in the mountains and thought of future climbs and adventures in the high peaks of Western Europe.
No comments:
Post a Comment