We went there during foliage season, which was a treat. The colors were brilliant, and at times I felt like I was driving through a Technicolor movie. The Hancock Inn provided our lodging. A full breakfast was included in the tariff along with a comfortable room with colonial décor. The innkeepers were very friendly and the inn was like a B&B without the cutesiness. I was happy there.
Nine miles away is Peterborough, a tony town with an affluent population. The Contookit River runs through town providing some nice scenery. There is also the Peterborough Diner with wholesome, inexpensive food.
Interestingly enough I was a camp counselor a long time ago at in Peterborough. Brantwood Camp, which was connected to my boarding school, served “underprivileged” boys from the Boston area. My brother went on to become a director of the camp and currently serves on the board of trustees, as does his wife. They own a home in Hancock. They plan to move full time to Hancock this winter, and I am looking forward to returning to this part of southern New Hampshire in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment