Some time ago I was watching the Academy Awards, and at one
point I wondered why I was doing so. What was the appeal of twenty something
millionaires singing each others praises. Yes, the movie stars were handsome and
talented, but they certainly seemed wrapped up in themselves. What kind of
industry gives awards to the award shows themselves? Was it my own envy,
jealousy, or competitiveness that was causing my distracting thoughts? Did I
really want to be Brad Pitt or perhaps more appropriately Robert Duvall?
Suddenly I had a clarifying memory.
| Sharon Stone |
Years ago on the night before I was to fly to Pakistan to begin a trek to the base camp of K-2, my wife, Vicki, and I attended a dinner sponsored by the American Himalayan Foundation honoring the Dalai Lama. I knew the history of the Dalai Lama, as I had read Heimlich Harrier’s excellent book, 7 Years in Tibet.
| Indiana Jones |
Once inside the banquet room I remembered that the Dalai
Lama had been strongly embraced by the Hollywood community. Suddenly I saw
stars everywhere. I restrained myself through two glasses of Chardonnay, and
then I was off with my camera. Like a crazed man I walked up to Stephan Segal
in his colorful smoking jacket, and I shot. Keep beating up the bad guys I
thought. Then it was onto Shirley McLain. The Rat Pack was gone now, but
Shirley looked good. Dr. Spock was there as was Ed Begley of St. Elsewhere. I
took pictures of Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid, one of my personal favorites. The
most striking person in the room was easily Sharon Stone. When I approached
her, she flashed me a big smile, and I took her picture. The finale came when I
walked up to Indiana Jones and got a great shot. Satiated, I walked back to my
table, somehow having forgotten about the man from Tibet, who was the real star
of the evening.
| Segal |
My reverie was interrupted with the sight of Halle Berry
being kissed by one of the award winners. Steve Martin continued to be funny,
and Michael Moore got the crowd going with his anti war comments. Suddenly
three hours had passed, and the show was nearly over. By that time I had
stopped trying to understand why I was watching the show, and I was only
enjoying it. As I turned the TV off, I had an image of myself as the country
singer in Tender Mercies, the movie starring Bobbie Duvall in the mid eighties.
When I walked out of the room, I even thought I heard the sound of a Texas wind
whistling across the flatlands.
No comments:
Post a Comment