Saturday, June 18, 2016

Stories from the road

Stories from the road
June 17, 2016
San Francisco, CA.
Orchard Hotel
Little River Inn


I awoke to the sound of rain on the roof of our cabin at the Old Crocker Inn. It was a pleasant sound that reminded me of New England. The deer were still around, as we made our way to breakfast, which I liked better today. Our hosts served a smoothie and then a waffle with fruit. 

The ride to San Francisco was easy in light traffic. Going over the Golden Gate Bridge was no hassle, but the toll collection was a pain. If you didn’t have Easy Pass then you had to go on line within 48 hours and pay the $6.75.  

With no problems we made out way to the Orchard Hotel on Bush Street, where we were staying. I gave a good tip to Cornell, who took our bags and car, as a lot of my stuff was in his hands. Neighborhood restaurants and markets surrounded our hotel. It gave me a good feeling.

Later we walked through China Town, which was full of camera and trinket shops, to the piers and then to the Embarcadero. We ate our main meal of the day at Scoma’s Restaurant. It is a touristy place, but I am a tourist. Vicki and I both had filet of sole, which was delicious. We shared an order of Cannolis for desert. 

I noted that all the waiters were Caucasian and all the busboys Asian. This seemed an odd phenomenon to me for a restaurant that has been on the Warf for at least 40 years.  Later we saw a group of minority children getting on buses after a field tip to the city. But I thought in San Francisco the minority seems to be the majority.
Mendocino plants

Russian Hill is steep, but eventually we made it to the top and walked to Bush Street.  I liked walking through residential neighborhoods and stumbling upon local restaurants.  San Francisco is an interesting city that way.

Have a good day.

David DiCicco

No comments:

Post a Comment