Sunday, October 1, 2017

Stories from the Road: Cape Cod; August 10, 2012






The heat and humidity have once again settled in the quaint, seaside community of Brewster, Massachusetts.  Steve Valle is checking his emails, and Bonnie and Vicki are watching the Today show from London. Soon we will head to Eastham for out final workshop day.

After the workshop, we drove to Sandwich to have lunch with my 93-year-old aunt and her husband. Helen and her helpers served a delicious lunch of lobster rolls, tomatoes with olive oil and basil, and fresh fruit. She offered me a martini, but I told her the offer was inviting, but it wouldn’t play well on route 3, Friday afternoon traffic. My aunt is a spirited person, and Vicki and I always have fun visiting her.

The drive to Boston took two hours through some heavy traffic. I was happy to reach Enterprise Rental on Commonwealth Avenue, where Dennis picked us up. He is preparing mushroom soup and plank steak tonight. Scotch will be poured at 6:00, and we will eat at 6:30. It is raining out now, and there has been some lightning damage in some towns in the southeastern part of the state. Tornado warnings are even in effect in some areas.

Steve and Bonnie have driven to the Mt. Washington Hotel in northern New Hampshire to attend a wedding. My old ski house is10 miles from the hotel, and I will be anxious to hear their report about the area. Steve’s daughter and her husband are hiking up the Falling Waters Trail in Franconia Notch and planning to traverse a couple of peaks. I have been on the trail a couple of times, and I have just texted Steve, asking for details of their effort. It is a big bite!
 
Vicki and I both like Cape Cod, but we have decided that September is the best month for us to visit. The summers are very crowded, and the traffic is difficult. The roads weren’t made to handle the volume of traffic that is typical in July and August. September is cooler and less crowded, though some of the restaurants are closed after Labor Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment