Thursday, April 14, 2016

Questions for Outdoor Doc

Q:  Where is a good place to day hike in Europe?

A:  Zermatt is great. The trails are well marked, the scenery is spectacular, and if you get tired there are lots of lifts running in the summer.

Q:  I am 53. I haven’t done much hiking, but I want to climb Denali. What do you think?

A:  It is not the mountain   with which to start your mountaineering career.  It is brutally cold and very dangerous. Go to a climbing school like the one in Jackson Hole (Exum), do some lesser climbs, and let the experts evaluate your abilities.

Q:  Can I wear a rain poncho hiking in the Cascades?


A:  I wouldn’t do it. They are cumbersome, heavy, and don’t keep you dry. Gortex parkas are expensive, but they last a long time. Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, The North Face, and Arcteryx make good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment