Thursday, May 9, 2019

Stories from the road
May 8, 2019
At 30,000 feet
 
The flight from Vienna to Paris has been smooth so far with the exception of my spilling a glass of mineral water on myself. I have been listening to great speeches of the past. I listened to JFK’s great inauguration speech in addition to his speech after the fall of the Berlin Wall. And of course, I listened to Martin Luther King’s wonderful “ I have a dream speech” in Washington, D.C. I resonated with them all along with Barack Obama’s speech at the Democratic Convention in Boston in 2004. His performance there launched him onto the national political stage. 

We are now somewhere over the Atlantic on our way to Boston. Dennis was taken off the plane in Paris for a random search. Luckily they let him back on. Our dinner was chicken, which wasn’t too bad. The best part was the camembert cheese.

I was reflecting back on my week with AMA Waterways. Both Vicki and I enjoyed ourselves. As I can’t do the active vacations I formerly did, the river cruise was a nice alternative. Most of the people on our cruise were seniors. There were a few people in their 30’s but they seemed out of place. Our room was the least expensive, but it was fine. It was small but designed well and comfortable. Each room had an Apple Computer, a mini bar, and plenty of storage space. Our shower worked well, and the staff cleaned our suite a couple of times a day. 

The food on our boat was excellent with multiple choices always available. The staff was friendly and helpful. Most days multiple excursions, free of charge, were planned. Knowledgeable guides accompanied us passengers on shore trips whether on foot, by bus, or on a bike. There were separate groups for fast walkers and slow walkers. There was always the option of staying on the boat. There was entertainment in the evenings, though I usually turned in early.

The. Cruise line managed all transfers to and from the airport. Everything went smoothly. We did pre and post-trip extensions which were well organized and interesting. I would definitely consider doing another trip.

We got to know a number of people on board during the week. Dennis, Phyllis, Vicki, and I became very friendly with two other couples with whom we ate dinner every evening. Judi, Ed, Margaret, and Barry were gracious, kind, fun, and interesting. My hope is that we will do another cruise together.



No comments:

Post a Comment