Sunday, July 10, 2016

How the Godfather Rolls




We left Cloverdale in the morning and headed towards Healdsburg. The plan was to stop at Francis Ford Coppola’s Winery on the way. Over the top probably best describes this Disneyland for adults. After driving through a large gate, we parked and walked to the main building. From there we wandered through shops, bars, and museum rooms displaying memorabilia from Coppola’s movies. There were pictures of Brando, Pacino, and others. It was all done with care and great taste. Later we came across the complex’s large swimming pool and cabanas, which were rented out for day use. The bocce ball courts were beyond the pool.
 
What a marketer this man was, I thought. I could have spent the day at the winery and a lot of money I suppose. I loved the integration of film, wine, and food. They say that Godfather I and II were Francis’s greatest creations, but I wonder if his winery doesn’t come close to matching the creativity of those two films.


No comments:

Post a Comment