In recent years Bed and Breakfast places have been popular way stations for the traveling set. Frequently housed in old, historic buildings in scenic places, B and Bs with their scones and quiches often seem “precious”. They offer weary travelers the company of fellow journeyman and jovial inn keepers.
Band Bs are not cheap. They are often cold and drafty, and sometimes you don’t even get your own bathroom! Such flaws wouldn’t be tolerated at a Marriot or Hilton, but B&BS are selling ambiance I suppose. I stayed in one recently in Port Townsend, Washington. The proprietor was very nice, and I felt guilty for not resonating more with the place. It was decorated with many antiques, and after a short time I had the feeling that I often have in such places, namely that I was staying in a museum, and that I shouldn’t disturb anything. I was an interloper, and the real residents were the tables, and chairs, and fine lamps. The building was obviously fashionable in the late 1800s, but I noted to myself that people didn’t build houses like this anymore, and there was a reason they didn’t!
No comments:
Post a Comment