Saturday, September 15, 2018

London Stories

Stories from the Road
September 14, 2018
Soho, London, England



A chilly wind blew across Trafalgar Square this morning as we made our way around bustling London. we walked through St, James Park near Buckingham Palace and had a snack in a boutique restaurant in Mayfair. The server said our money wasn't good, and I thought here we go again in reference to multiple disasters on a past trip. However, things worked out. Apparently, the country recalled old bills and substituted them with more robust ones. He took the currency saying he was going to the bank later.

In  Mayfair, I wandered into a Church's Shoe store with Italian salesmen. I had fun talking with them with one guy telling me I had seen more of Italy than he! A short time later we entered an Episcopalian church, where preparations for a wedding were in progress. The choir was warming up with beautiful music.

I have been using Google Maps to find my way around. At one point I realized I was so focused on the phone that I was missing the sights. Tonight we have tickets for Motown, the musical story of Bery Goddy, the founder of Motown Records. It should be good.

The next part of our trip will be walking in the Cotswolds. My brother, Stephen and his wife Harriet were scheduled to join us, but Harriet had a medical crisis and they have had to cancel their trip. This was necessary but disappointing to all of us.

Motown rocked from start to finish. I didn't resonate quite as much with the story as I did last night at The School of Rock, but the music was familiar and fun. The consistent energy of the performers is mind-boggling.





No comments:

Post a Comment