Saturday, September 29, 2018

Bologna

Stories from the Road
Bologna, Italy
September 29, 2018

The bike shot by me, and I thought, “I have never seen that before.” You might rightfully so ask what I am talking about, since bikes and Italy go hand in hand. But not indoors!

We had taken a bus tour of the city, and one of the stops was at the Eataly, a building perhaps one half mile long with multiple boutique restaurants, food shops, and places to buy wine. There was a theatre for cooking demonstrations and even a beach volleyball court. Hundreds of people shopped, rode bikes with shopping baskets, and ate attractive looking Italian food in this remarkable place.

I have been to similar places in the US, which I think may be modeled after the one in Bologna, but they are much smaller. They say Bologna is the food capital of the world, and after being here a day, I am beginning to believe it. We are staying in the Old Town where there seem to be places to eat every fifty feet. Last night I had a delicious pasta vongole. Sitting near the kitchen, I watched the chef prepare the dish along with Vicki’s eggplant ravioli.

Bologna is a couple of hours west of Venice by train. Home to the oldest university in the world, the city of a million is populated with many students who help create a vibrant atmosphere. The city’s architecture is appealing, and its buildings in the old town are scattered around large squares where people gather, talk, and celebrate. The Italians knew how to design communities that facilitated people being together.

The trip from Venice went smoothly, though it was complicated. We walked to a vaporetto, which we took to the train station. On the boat a woman complained to one of the boatmen that my suitcase was blocking her entrance to her seat.  I guess she was having a bad morning, since she had plenty of room to maneuver. I paid no attention nor did the boatman.

The train ride was pleasant in a new car which was very comfortable. The attendants brought around soft drink and cookies free of charge. Once in Bologna, we took a cab to our hotel, whose staff presented us with fruit and Prosecco.





No comments:

Post a Comment