Stories from the Road
September 28, 2016
Reggio Calabria, Italy
Yesterday we stumbled onto a restaurant in the woods. I
loved the place right away, and upon sitting down, we were greeted by the
owner. He was a handsome, gracious man who steered us to the day’s specialties.
First we had an antipasto of hot and cold items and then a homemade fettuccine
with mushrooms picked that morning. I told him that if his restaurant were in
Del Mar, it would be full every night! He said he heard that comment frequently
from visiting tourists. I only wish I could go back, but we have moved back to
Reggio Calabria tonight.
Last night we ate a locals’ place in Gerace. There were a
lot of guys snacking and drinking wine at the bar, when we arrived. Then they
left, but they came back for more wine later. I assumed they went home for
dinner and returned to chat with their friends. Many of the restaurants in
Calabria don’t have menus. The waiter tells you what he has, and often he’ll
ask the chef to fix what you might want, if it isn’t being offered. It is an
informal and personal way of dining that is attractive.
Yesterday the Caribinieri for reasons unknown stopped us.
They checked our passports, Tatiana’s license and then let us go. Vicki and I
were stopped a couple of times a few years ago in Sardinia. Go figure.
No comments:
Post a Comment