Thursday, October 12, 2023

The Green Green Grass of Home



 

I walked into the bar and stopped in my tracks! The band played a song that immediately ran around in my head and settled there. What was that great song?

 

The year was 1966, and I was on a ski trip to Kitzbuel, Austria. The song was The Green, Green Grass of Home, a country song made famous by Tom Jones, Porter Waggoner, and others. I tried to talk with the lead singer between songs, but he was from Hungry and spoke no English. Eventually, we left the bar, but the music stayed with me till this day. I thought of it this morning when I heard a version by Joan Baez on YouTube.

 

This catchy song tells the story of a man who dreams of his home in the country, but when he wakes up, he realizes he is in prison awaiting execution. It is a classic country song with a beautiful melody. Listen to it and see what you think!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment