Stories from lockdown
March 25, 2020
Del Mar, CA
Yesterday I followed my new routine. I watched Andree Martin, the golf pro at our club, give her webinar at 8:00 AM. Her instruction mirrors that of my golf instructor, professional Clark Renner. Inspired, I later went to a nearby school field and practiced chipping and pitching.
The field borders a large state preserve that overlooks the Pacific. Hiking trails wind throughout this area giving walkers excellent views. Over the years I have logged many miles on these trails. Often, I would never see another person on them. In recent years with an increasing local population and an obsession with physical fitness in Sothern California, the trails have become busier. With the gyms and beaches on hold now, hikers are all over the area.
On Nextdoor, the internet site that connects neighborhoods, some people are upset. Calling the recent hikers, “newbies”, these people complain the hikers lack etiquette on the trails amongst other things. I guess it is human nature like squatters’ rights. If you stay somewhere long enough you begin to feel it is yours.
This sense of entitlement extends to the ocean. People who grow up in the area become used to better surfing spots. Eventually, they begin to use the word “our” when describing the spots. There have been numerous criminal and civil complaints over the years resulting from locals accosting “invading newbies”.
I have been watching the Netflix series, “Unbelievable.” It is excellent. Kaitlyn Dever as Marie is outstanding as a young woman who finds her way through the foster care system and is being raped once she is on her own. Her portrayal of a trauma victim is educational though disturbing. Merritt Wever is memorable as Detective Karen Duvall.
No comments:
Post a Comment