Thursday, July 16, 2020



 

 

 

Stories from Lockdown

Del Mar, CA

July 13. 2020

 

Notes from the Pandemic

 


 

The days run into each other here, one after another. Darkness, light, darkness light. Morphing and merging. Saturday is Tuesday and Tuesday is Sunday in the Pandemic for retired people. But, you know, it isn’t so bad!

 

I play golf most days, swim laps the others, see friends in outdoor venues, and try to engage in creative activities. Whereas in the past I might have looked forward to an exciting trip, now I wonder what we’ll cook for dinner! Though we live in an urbanized suburb, it feels like we are out in the country. Life is simpler.

 

I try to be cautious, limiting my social interactions, wearing a mask, and using good judgment. However, I can’t help but wonder if a stray bullet is going to get me. If I don’t feel well some days, I jump to,” Has COVID made an appearance.” Like soldiers, we all wonder if our time has come. That part of the pandemic is not so great.

 

                                                                           

 

Like most people, we have been cooking more. I grew up eating breaded cutlets, a favorite dish. Why it took a pandemic to get me to cook them, I don’t know. They are easy to make and very tasty. I make them with veal, pork, or chicken. Here is a recipe.

 

Buy a package with 4 or 5 thin cutlets. Pound them with a wooden cooking mallet to thin them out. On one plate, break and stir an egg. On another, pour in some Italian seasoned bread crumbs.  To the crumbs, I add additional salt, pepper, seasoned salt, basil, and a little garlic salt. I then add some grated cheese. Use parmesan or try grating some sharp cheddar into the bread crumbs. I also add some white vinegar to the egg.

 

                                                                    


 

While you are preparing the bread crumb mix, have a large frying pan on high heat with Extra Virgin olive oil covering the bottom of the pan. Dip the cutlets into the egg mix and then run it through the bread crumb mix. Make sure the cutlets are fully covered. Drop them in the pan and fry them, turning the cutlets often. They don’t take long to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment