Stories from lockdown
June 21, 2020
Del Mar, CA.
Pandemic Notes
The pandemic has been a terrible experience across the world. The loss of like has been devastating. Economies have plunged. People have suffered in so many ways. Have there been any positives?
Each person has to evaluate the above question for themselves. I have found people reaching out more than in the past. Life became less certain for a time, and I have to wonder if some of the petty issues that keep people apart didn’t fall by the wayside. People connecting seemed more important than ever.
We spent more time at home, and that was good. There was less running around and more focus on the simpler aspects of living. We spent more time planning for meals, shopping for food, and resting. A less complex life felt strange but satisfying and meaningful. It was fun to enjoy my home and yard. Once I started playing golf again, life seemed to flow and be natural, though I was doing less than usual.
Politically things shifted. New heroes emerged in the form of both Republican and Democratic governors. Who couldn’t be captivated by Andrew Cuomo or not admire Governors Newsome and Baker? On the other hand, the callousness of 45 and his cohorts became ever more evident. If crisis defined Churchill, it further exposed Trump’s ineptitude, administrative incompetence, and inability to feel for others.
I belong to ten or so Facebook Photography pages. You post and people may or may not react and comment. It is a nice way to learn. Many of the members are professional photographers, and everyone is supportive. One man suggested I do street scenes in black and white. I did, and that is what I do now. It is interesting that some of my more “popular” photos are not my favorites. The sites help you define your photographic voice.
No comments:
Post a Comment