Stories from the Road
Olympia, WA
July 18, 2019
Ken Lake is still this morning with no activity at this early hour. Soon swimmers will be breaking the smooth surface of the water, as they begin their workout before heading to jobs.
The rain drove us indoors yesterday, and we saw Late Night
starring Emma Thomson, Mindy Kaling, and John Lithgow. A late-night talk show host comes to grips with the fact that her show is stagnant due to her rigid, autocratic nature. Her newfound ability to adapt and transform carries the film to a “feel good” ending. I liked the movie and found it entertaining and meaningful. The ending may have been too formula-driven, but overall it is a movie to see and enjoy.
Before we came to Washington, Vicki, and I saw “Wild Rose.” Both of us like this movie very much, and I would give it a strong recommendation. If you like country music, it helps, but the movie is strong regardless of your musical tastes.
Olympia has always had a counter-culture group of young people. Some are homeless and some have entry-level jobs at local shops. Last night while walking to the car, we passed a group sitting on some steps. They said a few things, and I kept walking, but I should have stopped and chatted. They weren’t hostile, and the one guy I talked with was friendly. I was curious about them but driven to move on by fear and caution I suppose. My loss!
Marle, who had knee replacement surgery a few weeks ago, borrowed a machine called Polar Care which automatically brings cold water to her knee. I have been using it every day and ordered a unit from Amazon.
No comments:
Post a Comment