Monday, July 1, 2019

Big Mallard and Options




The Salmon River in Central Idaho was running fully in 1994. I had read about Big Mallard for many years, and soon I would meet the biggest rapid on the Salmon. I had been paddling pretty well with a few roles but no swims. As we approached the rapid, I heard it before I saw it. The sound of whitewater has an anxiety-laden excitement to it.

Our guides motioned us to pull over before the rapid for scouting and strategy. The established route would be along the left side of the river which had big rolling waves but no rocks or submerged trees.  The guide's words were ominous: River right is not an option!

As I started down the wave train on the left, I suddenly flipped when a big wave blindsided me. With an unrealistic fear of being washed to the right side of the river, I rolled “with haste” and finished my run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment